Scott's Profile Pic

Scott's Profile Pic
Scott Swindells

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Student Video Awards

Hello, all.

It was good to get some feedback on last week's post about putting together an event to showcase the best student-made videos for classes in our district this year. We got some good suggestions for how to pull this off, and it was nice to see that a few readers drop by this blog!

Unfortunately, several of you told me you had a problem replying to the post, so I'll have to check the settings. Here are some of the best suggestions emailed to me this week:

1) You should open it up to videos from previous years' classes, submitted by students who are still in the district.

2) You should model it after the SAG awards!

3) I'd like to see separate entries for Elementary, Middle, and High School.

4) Hi Scott – your blog won’t let me reply, so I thought I’d email my thoughts. As you know, I LOVE this idea! I think we could easily have categories of “Best animated” (if that is done), Best Stop Motion, Best Live-Action, Best Thematic Depiction? Ummm…I would defer to you techies to determine what pieces of technology are widest used and most creatively used (“Most creative use of (insert type of technology )”.
I would think that you could invite teachers to nominate their students’ creations, and you guys could narrow it down to the top 5. Then, the teachers who submitted would become the academy (even if their students’ work wasn’t picked). You could do it via age group, too, if you wanted to include some of the elem or middle school classes that are using you guys.
I love this! I think we need to really mirror the Oscars here, one of my favorite shows! (Yes, I dress up on Oscar night – in our family, the person who picks the most correct winners gets an Oscar. We mail it to each other each year. Then we tape an acceptance speech! We are dorks!)


Thanks for the text and email replies! I think we will certainly have to look at separate categories (probably even separate events, due to the different buildings) for different grade levels. It would be great if we could find an evening to host one awards show this spring to include everyone at once, though.

We've also started getting some ideas for how to set up the voting. We will probably need to post a link to each video from a central wiki or web page, then include a form for voting in each category on that site.

We really won't know exactly how that would look until we start to collect some nominations. Teachers, this is where we need you. Please contact us via the help request on our website or email an AIC and send us a few nominations for the best student-made videos you have received in class projects.

Thanks & see you next Tuesday.

No comments: